Friday, January 16, 2009

cha ryuht

From Thursday January 15 2009

To blog or not to blog…

Forgive my ramblings, for the topics will be far and wide over the next few days. I have numerous things floating around in my head. I’m sure at some point today this will become a soap box for something.

I’m thinking about my daughter’s attitude toward school, her Tae Kwon Do class, making modifications to my Jeep, hunting, archery, competitive handgun shooting (IPSC), home defense, getting my concealed carry permit, fishing, a possible spring break Jeep trip to Colorado, my health, etc. Wow, no wonder I can’t concentrate on anything. I need to get some things in order and resolved.Too much chaos!

Organize…relax…focus….old Bad Company playing on my iPod…Here comes trouble, walkin down the street…oh, not what I’m trying to get accomplished here.

At 4 years old she is giving me teenage grief about not liking school. I don’t want to go to school. School is boring. I don’t want to learn, I want to play. It’s making me nuts. She’s FOUR! I shouldn’t be hearing this kinda crap until way later in life.

I didn’t start to hate school until 4th grade when the Lubbock Public School system decided that desegregation would be a good thing and bussed me across town for half a year.I don’t really think it was “desegregation” because that happened way before I was born, but they did load all of us students from Haynes Elementary onto busses and drive us all the way across town to another school which I cannot remember the name. I do however remember the physical school was very run down,stuff was broken, windows boarded over, lockers torn up, spray paint on the walls, broken playground equipment, etc. I have no idea what my teacher’s name was. I do remember that he wasn’t very nice, and he didn’t care. I remember that questions asked went unanswered, and even at age 8 I was aware, or maybe I was just made aware of the differences in the quality of teachers from one school to the next. As a result, I never cared for school again. We moved from Texas to Bethany where I went to Overholser Elementary for the remainder of 4th grade and 5th grade as well. I don’t remember which year, but it was in that year and a half that I started skipping school. Mom would go to work, and I’d just stay home, or I’d walk half way and decide I didn’t feel good and go back home. I don’t recall ever liking school again. I absolutely DO NOT want that to happen to her. And, I just realized I can remember the name of every school I attended except the one on the other side of town in Lubbock Texas I wonder if that means anything.

So, I have to admit that her attitude toward going to school has improved in the last week so I’m not sure if it is just taking a little time to get back in the groove from the long Christmas break or what.

Maybe it is the addition of her Tae Kwon Do classes. She just started last week and she is having a great time. Her best friend is enrolled and that is what got us in the door. When my wife was pregnant I joked that I wanted our baby to take some form of martial arts, and now thanks to our friends, it has come true. I am very proud of her. She is learning quickly,and pays good attention. At this age, they don’t focus so much on technical correctness, but more on basic understanding and following direction. In their program, they encourage “Black Belt Behavior” in all aspects of the child’s life.At the conclusion of each class they want to know from the parents if the student has done anything deserving of a star for their uniform, such as helping at home, doing well in school, showing positive behaviors etc. Of course there are some parents who want their kids to get a star no matter what, so they come up with some pretty lame stuff. More celebrations of mediocrity. In our household, it has been an ongoing battle getting her to pick up after herself. Since starting this class, she has cleaned the living room twice, and helped fix dinner twice, and her teacher at school sent home a note regarding how well she is following directions on her school work. All of this with zero provocation from us. So, it seems to be working, for now.

cha ryuht.....kyung nae.....kahm sa hamnida

No comments:

Post a Comment